Smoked prime rib will have neighbors peeking over your backyard fence, wondering what the tantalizing aroma is. Put them out of their misery and invite them over. This recipe is very versatile. Substitute any of our amazing rubs and skip the marinade for a completely different, but equally delicious flavor.
❏ 5 lb. prime rib roast, well marbled
❏ 1 recipe Everything Basting Sauce
❏ 1 ½ Tbsp onion powder
❏ 1 ½ Tbsp garlic powder
❏ 1 Tbsp kosher salt
❏ 1 Tbsp black pepper, coarsely ground
Preparation Time: 6-7 hours
Estimated Smoke Time: 5 hours
Smoke Temp: 230°F
Try these wood chips: Cherry, hickory or mesquite
- Using a clean paper or kitchen towel, pat-dry the roast.
- Place the roast in an aluminum pan and inject the Everything Basting Sauce into all surfaces of the roast.
- Place the roast in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. For best results, refrigerate it overnight.
- Remove the roast from the fridge, and discard any remaining marinade from the pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all rub ingredients.
- Pour the rub onto the roast and use your hands to coat the meat evenly.
- Let the roast sit at room temperature while preheating the smoker to 230°F.
- Set the roasting pan on the smoker grate.
- Smoke the roast until the internal temperature reaches 135°F for medium rare, 145 for medium.
- Allow the roast to rest, covered for 30-45 minutes.
- Carve the roast and serve with pan drippings poured over the meat.